Homemade All Natural Bug Spray (that actually works!)
I have fairy blood.
Well, at least that's what I tell the minis when I get eaten alive by mosquitos while the Chef sits by enjoying the summer night without one single bite.
The boy seems to have inherited my fairy blood. The girl got lucky.
Summer months bring many bumps and I am constantly in search of a bug spray that won't give my kids cancer in place of bug bites.
This summer I decided to test out a theory. I have often thought that every chemical ridden product that is sold to us nowadays had to start somewhere naturally. So I scoured the internet in search of a bug spray recipe that actually works at keeping bugs away. After testing and combining multiple recipes I finally created one that actually works for my family. I sprayed the minis down for Nature Camp (a six hour camp held only outside in the forest) and the boy came home with ONE bite and the girl NONE, all week long. Cray. Cray.
#teamsawyer for the win!
What you need:
- Citronella Essential Oil
- Tea Tree Oil
- Witch Hazel
- Distilled Water
- Lemon Slice
How to make:
- Fill a small spray bottle 1/4th full with distilled water.
- Fill the rest with witch hazel. Be sure to leave about an inch at the top for the rest of ingredients.
- Add 40 drops of citronella essential oil.
- Add 20 drops of tea tree oil.
- Squeeze slice of lemon and a splash of vinegar.