Ohio Black Walnut Soup
Last week Anne Burrell of Food Network and bleach blonde spiky hair noterity gave a shout out in USA Today of her favorite soups. The Chef's Ohio Black Walnut soup happened to be one of them so I thought I would share the recipe with you guys.
Black Walnut & Sage Soup (Serves 4-6)
What You Need:
- 1 yellow onion (diced)
- 1 stalk of celery (diced)
- 1/4 c. diced bacon
- 1 c. ohio walnuts (chopped)
- 1/2 c. sprigs of sage
- 1 gal. pork stock
- 1 c. heavy cream
- 1 lb. salted butter
- 25 small duck meatballs
How to Make:
- In a medium sized soup pot melt butter then add bacon, celery, and onion.
- Cook until everything begins to brown (about 10 minutes) then add chopped walnuts.
- Add sage and pork stock. Simmer and stir.
- After about 20 minuets add heavy cream.
- Simmer for another 5 minutes then add to vitamix (or blender). Combine till smooth.
- Add s & p to taste.
- Combine finished soup and meatballs. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve with toasted walnuts and crispy sage.