It's the end of the summer which means my basil plants are CRAY CRAY:
Because I am a Vitamix junkie I have been thinking about making pesto in it for awhile. The plants above gave me the excuse to mess around with a recipe. As always this recipe is what I like in a pesto. It's a little more cheesy than most, and it's got some bite due the ridiculous amount of garlic I added.
What You Need:
3 Cups of Basil (I tend to use smaller leaves as they pack more punch)
1/2 c. parmesan cheese
1/4 c. olive oil (+ more to taste)
4 cloves of garlic
1/4 c. raw pine nuts
How to Make:
- Add basil leaves to Vitamix. Chop on 1 or 2 setting.
- Once chopped, add parmesan. Chop again on 1 or 2 setting.
- Slowly add olive oil and garlic cloves. Increase speed up to 5. Add pine nuts. Increase speed of Vitamix.
- Continue to increase speed until blended. I usually pop it up to high for a few seconds to finish blend.
- Enjoy on pasta, breads, salads, or whatever you like!